Job Opportunities at Saint Mary's
The Church of St. Mary the Virgin is seeking candidates for the position of weekend/evening sexton.
Saint Mary the Virgin is a landmarked building located in Times Square. The complex, taken as a whole, includes four separate structures. In addition to daily church services, the Church plays host to a number of service groups (AA, DA, OA and others), as well as rehearsals and performance by various performing arts groups and organizations throughout the year. Several members of the staff, and their families live on the premises.
The successful candidate needs to be a proactive, self-starting, responsible individual who is able to climb the many stairs throughout the complex. He/she may be asked from time to time to move furniture and life and carry boxes. In addition, the Sexton will interact with members of the congregation during coffee hours following services. The Sexton’s normal hours are Saturdays from 9:30 – 6:30pm and Sundays from 7am – 7pm.
In addition he/she will be called to be on duty for additional hours during Christmas and Holy Week as assigned, as well as for other events, such as evening performances, rehearsals and other events taking place after the Church’s usual closing time. During such events the Sexton is expected to interact with members of the public and representatives of various performing arts groups in a professional manner, as he/she serves as the representative of the Church.
His/her specific duties include:
- Cleaning and maintaining the various spaces throughout the complex, including meeting rooms, parish hall, church and other areas as assigned;
- Preparing for services, including working with acolytes and servers, handling sacred vessels and candles;
- Removing trash from both inside and outside the building as needed, and placing trash on the curb for pickup on Sunday evenings;
- Helping to maintain order within the Sanctuary of the Church, making sure all guests including tourists, visitors, and members of the homeless community are following established rules and policies;
- Facilitating refreshments for Sunday coffee hours – making coffee, preparing and serving food (in accordance with safe food-handling procedures), and cleaning up kitchen area and all coffee urns, dishes and utensils afterward, as well as keeping track of inventory of food and supplies;
- Proactively cleaning throughout the complex as needed or assigned;
- Assisting clergy, staff and congregation members as requested.
This is a part-time position, paying $13-$15 per hour, depending on experience and includes full benefits including health, dental and vision insurance. English need not be the candidate’s primary language, but fluency in spoken and written English is a must. The weekend/evening sexton is one of three sextons charged with maintaining the Church complex, so patience, good humor, good people skills and the ability to work calmly and cooperatively with supervisors and other members of the staff is essential.
The Church of St. Mary the Virgin provides equal employment opportunity to qualified persons and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, gender,